Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Dinner at the Diner

Once a week I take the long drive out the Mary-Hill Bypass to visit my sons in Pitt Meadows, take them to dinner and catch up on their lives. Dinner choices in the Pitt are, to say the least, limited. Fast food rules, and apart from a Phô joint and an Indian place we've found, there's little else worth visiting.

My eldest son spends a lot of time with his friends, and Bobby Sox Diner, just up the Lougheed in Maple Ridge, has become a new hang-out. It was "okay" he said ... cheap and cheerful (my words, not his) so it seemed a suitable choice after a few frames of bowling.

We've driven by Bobby Sox a number of times, and I always thought it looked authentic. The sort of place that has been the the area for ages ... standing tall against all comers ... fighting fast food with tradition. Inside, the Naugahyde booths, Formica and chrome countertops, and the requisite Coke fridge all boded well for its pedigree. Sliding into one of the booths I asked the waitress how long they'd been in business.

15 years. Alas, Bobby Sox was once a KFC. So much for nostalgia.

We order: 1 coffee, 2 Cokes, a Reuben, a Monte Cristo and the special of the night - Grilled Turkey, Bacon & Tomato served with a bowl of Split Pea Soup. Other menu offerings included burgers, salads(???) and what my son tells me is a damn fine milkshake. Oddly, I saw no meatloaf or chicken-pot-pie. Its probably just the nostalgia in me, but aren't those are required diner dishes?

Locals file in and out of the place, participating in what is undoubtedly a daily ritual for them. Dinner arrives, and the first thing I notice is that this place knows how to grill a sandwich! Nice crust without a hint of burning and the ingredients inside all perfectly melty. The fries were not as crisp as I like them, but the boys thought they were just "okay." Chalk that one up to preference. The pea soup was nice, but nothing special ... likely a canned base with some freshly crisped bacon added. Having said that, I should have ordered the soup rather than the fries.

The overwhelming favourite was the Grilled Turkey, Bacon & Tomato. The tomato was a nice contrast to the melted meats. The Reuben was "okay" as was the Monte Cristo. Oh, and the coffee was nice and hot and refilled often. So it's not the Mecca of diners, but it's a place I'll visit again when I'm in the mood for Formica , greasy food and good conversation with the boys.


--------------------
Bobby Sox 50's Diner
22596 Lougheed Highway
Maple Ridge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...