Pages

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Not for the Squeamish

I am a carnivore. I make no apologies for this. I like meat and just about anything to do with it. But unlike a lot of meat lovers I know, I don't shy away from where my meat comes from, nor from eating some of the lesser known cuts and organ meats (offal). In fact, I believe it's an insult to the animal who gave its life for you to not respect it in that way.

So it was with great pleasure that I discover the Cowichan Valley Meat Market on our recent family vacation to Mill Bay. Just outside of Duncan, right beside the highway (don't believe Google Maps on this one!) you'll find a business built by the Quist family over 3 generations. (Just look for the sign and be prepared to turn quickly!)

Almost everything in the store is from their farm. They control what the animals eat, so there's no worries about hormones or animal by-products. I spent a while speaking with one of the younger apprentices about their product and the pride was front and centre. Whatever cut you wanted, they had or could get.




In addition to the full butcher shop, the store was packed with several variety of smoked meats, salamis, pepperonis, bacons (I stopped counting after 5 types). Our purchases that day were: lamb pepperoni (used on pizzas later that week), short ribs (braised for dinner that night), double smoked bacon (best bacon EVER!), and 6 racks of baby backs (to be used at the upcoming BBQ on the bypass).

If you've never been to a REAL butcher, this is a must visit.

----------
Cowichan Valley Meat Market Ltd.
5191 Koksilah Frontage Road Duncan , BC , V0R 2C0
phone: 250-746-8732

1 comment:

  1. 1st photo = awesomeness. Reminds me of the butcher dept at my Dad's old store, which is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...