Pages

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Where Did All the Sango?

"I'm craving sushi"

The text came across my phone from my eldest son. Normally I like to eat at his school when I go to visit on Wednesday, but cravings can't be ignored. Especially when the chef (my son) tells me that the lamb shanks are dry.

The best sushi in Pitt Meadows is at Sango, which is located in the Meadowtown Mall (just east of Harris Road on the Lougheed Highway). My experience here is that most people in the area order the ubiquitous California Roll and Teka Maki. However, if you take the time to venture into some of their more creative dishes, some real gems can be found.

Kimchi Tofu is easily our favorite dish at Sango. Exactly as it sounds, it's tofu served with house-made kimchi ... woth some bacon thrown in for good measure. Now, I'd be remiss if I didn't confess to a little bit of guilty pleasure here. I mean, bacon and tofu? Not only a hilarious juxtaposition, but a delicious combination as well!  Regardless, I think the 3 of us could easily tackle an order of this each.

The latest addition to the "try-it" list was Oden.  Essntially it's a dashi stock with chunks of fish cake, tofu and various other cake-like substances cut into large building block shapes.  But the oddest ingredient was something called kojacu.  There a piece of it on the right hand side of the bowl.  Think mauve Jello-O twisted in a prtezel like shape. 

Oden was not a big hit with the kids.  I'm thinking it was a textural thing.  But I will definitely keep an eye out for this dish again.  On a cold and rainy Januray night in the Pitt, this was a welcome bowl of comfort from some very unfamiliar tastes.  

---------------------
Sango Japanese Restaurant
#350 19800 Lougheed Hwy (near the Taco del Mar) 
Pitt Meadows
Tel: 604-465-4650 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...