Pages

Monday, March 16, 2009

New Idea Monday: Kitchens in the Round

Mondays are tough. The weekend is over, the work week (for most of us) has just begun. Sometimes a cup of coffee just isn't enough to get motivated.

I'm here to help.

Each Monday I will try to find something new in the world of design. It might be some new technology in appliances, or simply a new line of hardware I've been introduced to.  This is New Idea Monday, or NIM for short.  For today's instalment, it's one of the coolest kitchen designs I've seen in a long time.

This is the winner of the 2005 "Kitchen is the Heart of the Home" competition put on by Designboom and the imm Cologne interior design show. Created by Chinese designers Cheng He, Liu Guang Kui and Zhou Dong of China, this "apartment" kitchen features a brilliant combination of clever design and brilliant engineering. Not only does the design make sense as-is, the countertop (along with the cooktop and sink) rotates, bringing to work centres to the cook!

This kitchen reminds me a lot of Snaidero's Acropolis concept, only turned inside out ... which is probably what I like best about it. Both are great examples of letting function steer the design without sacrifing form. This design takes both the form and function of Acropolis one step further.

2 comments:

  1. Wouldn't it be great to have the space for this, and then a larger Acropolis-style counter around the outside. All the key functions in the centre island, but then you can turn around and have tons of extra surface area around the outside!! Glenn M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd hate to think of the complicated plumbing and electrical installation involved with this kitchen.

    I agree Glenn ... but I take it a step further. I'd just do the Acropolis kitchen, but have it rotate around you! The cook is after all the centre of the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...