Pages

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

When Life Gives You Cauliflower ...

Well, in this part of the world, you make pakoras.

In Vancouver, we are blessed with not only a large Indian community, we are blessed with Vij. Vikram Vij and his wife Meeru Dhalwala are the owners and creative trust behind Vij's and Rangoli. These two restaurants have elevated the cuisines of India to a much higher level than your average butter chicken.

In food mad Vancouver, it's only natural for many chefs to release their own cookbooks. So it was in 2006 we received Vij's Elegant & Inspired Indian Cuisine. It was from this book I found the best use for our recent bounty of cauliflower.

The recipe is simple, although I never did track down any powdered mango, and my decision to deep fry on a day with a high temperature of 28C was not one of my better ones.  However, in my defense I should say that my wife said she wanted something "bad" for dinner. I think deep fried cauliflower and Czech pilsner counts.

And damn, they were "good"!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...