Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2009

PNE 2009 - Headpins / Randy Bachman

This was a night for nostalgia.

It had been a really long week at work, so a chance to unwind at the PNE was foremost in my mind for the better part of Friday. I had a small lunch in anticipation of some good fair grub and a couple good shows.

Stop number 1 - Hunky Bill's Perogies, and my first brush with nostalgia. You see, Bill's been at the fair for a very long time ... 43 years to be exact. Which means when my parents took me to the PNE for my first time, Bill was serving his perogies at the PNE for the first time. Hunky Bill's at the PNE became a special treat for me. More so than the cotton candy or corn dogs.

As an added bonus, THE MAN was in DA HOUSE! Bill is a grascious host and denies nobody a photo opportunity ... much to the annoyance of his staff since the stand can be slammed (which it often is) and Bill will be shakin hands and kissing babies. My wife, he didn't kiss.

Concert #1 for the evening was The Headpins. I'll be the first to admit, I wasn't expecting much from this show. Darby Mills' vocal styling could best be described as "melodic screaming" so I didn't hold up much hope that her voice would be in very good condition 20 years later.



I'm happy to say I was wrong. They sounded great! And there was the added benefit of watching a bunch of 50 year olds in the audience "rock out" like they used to at Outlaws "back in the day."

I know, "Those Little Donuts" are hardly adventurous. But they are really addictive, and no PNE is complete without them. One item of note, the water that runs down the midway in front of the donut stand is NOT from the washroom nearby. It's from the hot tubs up the way.

Concert #2 was Randy Bachman. All I can say is "Wow"



The big difference between Randy and a lot of the 70's reuinion bands I've seen is his level of professionalism. The man is just effortless in his playing and posseses the stage like royalty ... which I suppose he is in the music world. He covered all the hits from "Shakin' All Over" and "These Eyes" with The Guess Who, to "Let it Roll" and "Takin' Care of Business" with BTO. One of the best shows I've seen in ages.

Post concert snacks consisted of ice cream, and another old favorite, Fisher Scones. Mom used to rave about these for weeks before the PNE. Fresh from the oven they're a nice warm bit of nostalgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...