Pages

Saturday, September 5, 2009

PNE 2009 - The Gipsy Kings

If you're looking for a lot of eating in this entry, I'm going to dissappoint you. I'd met up with a friend for lunch earlier in the day at DB Bistro and unfortunately filled up before I made it to the fair. On a positive note, I can tell you that I have not found a better Reuben sandwich anywhere than at DB Bistro. Homemade corned beaf and sauerkraut ... but I digress.

Another downer this week is that the weather has started to turn to autumn. It's still been warm during the day, but there's a crispness in the morning air that hints at cooler days to come. And as is usual for the PNE, the rain has returned. Not steady, November rain, but annoying rain-just-long-enough-to-make-the-grass-to-wet-to-sit-on sort of rain.

Lucky for us the rain stopped before the evening's concert, and there were so many people there to see the Gipsy Kings, that NOBODY was going to sit down. The group you see sitting in the picture were actually laughed at when they started asking those in front to "sit down!"



Really great show, but you could tell 90% of the people were there for "Bamboleo." It reminded me of the time I went to see The Ramones and the group around us sand "Rock and Roll High School" to every song the band played.

By the time the crowd dispursed I was finally starting to feel a bit peckish. The choice of meals was easy since the smell of the smoke from this stand had been wafting through the crowd for the duration of the concert. Henry's Chicken BBQ is another of the long-time PNE food purveyors. In fact the late Henry Schultz (original owner and name-sake) was a family friend. No PNE was complete without a visit to his stand for some chicken and potato pancakes.





Saddly the pancakes are no longer, but the chicken is still as good as ever. Cooking techniques are unchanged as well; flip-over grills are the same as Henry used, and the seasonings (13 secret spices according to Henry) are applied using and industrial garden sprayer. But as good as the food is, it's the smell of chicken grilling over charcoal that keeps me coming back.

You'll find Henry's Chicken BBQ over by the Agrodome. Walk in the Renfrew entrance and follow your nose.

4 comments:

  1. In Portland Or last night they played only one hour and twenty minutes or so. There encore was just one song. Great band but lame lack of effort. Felt a bit ripped off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's about how long they played for us too ... with only one encore. I guess that's what happens when you really only have one "hit." The difference for us was there was a corn dog and mini donuts waiting afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Arne! I stumbled across your site while researching my late grandfather's name " Henry Schultz". Very cool to see a blog with a reference to him on it! I spent a few summers hanging out at the PNE while my mom and dad and grandparents worked the booth(s). You say in your blog that they were a family friend...how so?
    Regards, Michelle Crowe-Shipley
    ps. love the food pics

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle,

    Thanks for dropping by the blog!

    Henry knew my grandfather and father through church. I believe it was First Lutheran. But I remember Henry & co. doing chicken BBQ's for my swim club's big meet every summer. Always a big part of my summer and has ruined me for anybody else's chicken.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...