Pages

Monday, October 5, 2009

Work In Progress: East Vancouver

Business is booming. Strange, since the summer months are usually the slow time of the year. You won't hear me complaining though!

One of my bigger projects recently has been a remodel of the kitchen in a 1920's East Vancouver home. It's of particular interest to me for a couple reasons ... first because I love working with homes of this vinatge, and second because these people are friends of mine, and I am quite familiar with the original kitchen.

The homeowner has graciously allowed me to link to his personal web site, where he's been documenting the process. He's got it to where we're waiting for countertops (which happen to go in today). I'll re-post when he updates.

It's an excellent overview of what you can expect during a typical reno. CLICK HERE to read on.

UPDATE: The completed kitchen can be viewed HERE [CLICK]

Some comments on Glenn's commentary:
  • The Temporary Kitchen: I can't stress enough the importance of planning for the time you will be without your kitchen. Some projects can take as long as 12 weeks! That's a lot of pizza and Chinese take-out! If you have friends and family you can visit, great. Otherwise, cook and freeze as many meals as you can.
  • Inspectors: I have no problem with inspectors whatsoever. In most situations we're exceeding the building code requitements anyway. But it's important for the customer to remember that using inspectors will add time to the project. If we have to wait for the inspector, certain things just can be completed.
  • Cabinet Storage: When dealing with a small kitchen like this one, it's important to remember to consider where the cabinets will be stored before they're installed. You just can't keep them in the kitchen and inspect to keep the installer sane.
  • Being Your Own Tradesperson: Most contractors will grimmace if you ask if you can do some of your own work. Especially when dealing with inspectors it can often mean delays that are out of the hands of the contractor. In this kitchen, all went brilliantly (the clients did their own electrical and painting), but I have been involved with those that haven't.

    So, if you want to do your own work be sure to a) know what you are doing, and b) be willing to accept responsibility for delays you may create.

1 comment:

  1. I love 1920s homes - the good thing is that you'll never know what you're going to find, which is fun. (Yes, my idea of fun isn't like most people.)

    The homeowner sounds very down-to-earth and that's some excellent advice.

    The number one comment most clients tell me during a remodel? "I had no idea there was so much involved!"

    Glad you're keeping busy; we are too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...