Pages

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Leftovers

If there is any better form of leftovers than Christmas turkey, I don't know what it is.  And since we hosted our family Christmas dinner this year, we were the benefactors of  the leftover turkey.  Last night was our first real chance to enjoy the bounty of smoked turkey, home made cranberry sauce and Capozzi stuffing.

Capozzi stuffing?  It's a recipe that has been in my family for generations, and until recently I only knew part of the story.  As I researched the recipe, I came across this email from my late mother who sent the recipe to my sister-in-law:
The "recipe" is one of those "a little of this, a little of that" things"  Basically, you start with soft but stale bread crumbs - old bread, not fresh - which I crumb using a little chopper, or food processor, a blender will do too.  To that I add the seasoning, and the original recipe has summer savoury, sweet basil, thyme and oregano, and of course, freshly ground pepper and salt to taste. Go easy on the salt because both the cheese and the butter have salt, and I have ended up many times with a dressing that is too salty.  I do not use sage in this recipe - which makes it different from most.  Then you add, depending on the amount of crumbs, about one cup of grated Parmesan cheese, more or less, to taste.
You then, in your nice big wok frying pan!  Sauté the finely chopped veggies - onions, carrot, celery - in lots of butter.  (This is a pre-cholesterol recipe!) Then, when the veggies are soft, but not overcooked, (there should still be some colour to the celery) and the onion nice and transparent, add some finely chopped cilantro.  Then add this to the bread crumbs.  It should be quite moist, rather than dry.  If it is too dry to hold together, then cook up some more veggies to add.
There you go!  You are on your own with the seasonings, but think "Italian mama" and you will be fine!  This recipe came to my mom from Mama Capozzi in Kelowna, BC.  The Capozzi's were immigrant grocers in Kelowna in the early days, and when my Dad was out of work, they let him run a bill at the grocery store without bugging him about paying.  They also had the first grocery turntable at the checkout in town, and sold linguine in long strands doubled over, so when you cooked it it was about five feet long!  The Capozzi's children went on to build a financial empire in wine making and my Dad wrote insurance for Tommy Capozzi, who kept have accidents with his flashy cars, and was a very bad risk!  How many recipes do you know that come with a story!

1 comment:

  1. I love leftover turkey sandwiches with mango chutney on one side and cranberry sauce on the other. Terribly good! Your pic makes me hungry!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...