Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

Food Fridays: Your Server Today will be Hal

Originally I had hoped that my visit to New York would afford me the opportunity to visit some of the best restaurants in the world  Unfortunately for my eating agenda the team at Brizo had us so busy that I had little time to spare.  Outside of the first night visit to RUB, I was only able to take in one other restaurant during my stay:  Food Parc.

Food Parc is situated in the same building as the Eventi Hotel (my home base in NY), which in fairness was why I ended up there.  Truth be told my southern brother Nick and I were rushing back from a visit to Tiffany & Co. (Valentine's Day gift shopping) and really needed to get something to eat before we were off to the Jason Wu fashion show.  Food Parc was simply in the right place at the right time, but turned out to be a happy accident or at the very least nowhere near as bad as it might have been based on first appearances.

Food Parc is essentially an upscale food court, featuring 4 different vendors: "burgers, grilled cheese sandwiches and BLTs all available with out 4 artisanal bacons, as well as shakes and floats at 3Bs • dim sum, dumplings, Chinese BBQ and more at RedFarm Stand by Chef Joe Ng • salads, sandwiches and pastas all served on our brick oven flatbread at Fornetti • or La Colombe coffee drinks, tea, pastries and gelato at The Press!"


And while they emphasize the "artisinal" nature of the food, what makes Food Parc truly unique is the way in which you order your food.  The restaurant has several "ordering areas" with touch screen computer terminals.  You simply select what you want from the on-screen menu, make your payment and a ticket is printed out with your order number.  While you wait for your food to be prepared you can follow along on another screen to see what stage your order is at.  That not enough to keep you entertained?  There's free WiFi.

To go along with all the high-tech ordering is a very sleek, modern interior.  Designed by futurist Syd Mead (known for his work on Blade Runner, Aliens and TRON) the "modern aesthetics and serene ambience" create an environment in which “the food is the star and the rest of the cast are the patrons.”  While initially amusing, this technologically focussed theme has little to do with the food at Food Parc.

I ordered an Eggplant Parmesan Flatbread and Nick a Pasta Marinara, both from Fornetti.  The meals were eaten in haste so a detailed description of the minute details of the food are lacking.  Overall the flavours were really good, but the flatbread became quite soggy after sitting with its toppings for a while.  Nicks pasta was over cooked which, considering the setting is not really surprising.  Portion sizes were generous, providing me with a lovely midnight snack later than evening.

Food Parc would not be on my list of destinations for a trip to New York.  But if I were in the area shopping and wanted an quick inexpensive lunch I'd not hesitate to eat there again.  This time however I'd order from a human.  No offense Hal.

----------------
Food Parc
6th Avenue @ 29th Street
New York, NY

5 comments:

  1. I wish we had something like that here. Basic lunch fare dressed up with quality ingredients. I haven't tried Japadog (don't like hot dogs) but I think that's the closest to food parc in Vancouver...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post- mainly because I'm in it!

    That day was one of the highlights of the trip... Thanks again for letting me tag along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww Nick! I feel the same (garsh) I was happy to have you along. We'll do it again in Vegas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shane, you're right. Nothing really like this in Vancouver. Then again, they have nothing like Earls or Cactus Club in NYC. Not sure if that's good or bad ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree was a great place and the whole concept of the touch screen order process was brilliant. Well said Arne...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...