Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Excel-ing At Efficicency

I've always believed that we North Americans had a tendency to build things bigger than other places in the world. Now I have proof, in the form of a nifty looking chart (someone has some mad Excel skills!):

Source:  BBC
This chart (courtesy of the BBC) graphically represents the size of the average home in several different countries. Canada's not on the list, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that we're going to be somewhere close to the USA.  

What caught my eye on this chart was little Denmark who's average home size was almost double that of the UK.  Because I'm the inquisitive type, and because I have some mad Excel skills myself, I came up with this little beauty:

This chart shows the relationship between the size of the average home, and the size of the country the homes were built in.  What does it tell us?  For one, I had too much time on my hands when I wrote this post.  But more importantly it shows that North America is clearly under-performing in the home:country area ratio!  Our homes could easily be 10 times larger based on what's happening in Europe.  

All kidding aside, North Americans (and apparently Australians) can learn something from this.  Because we have all this space, there is little concern for efficiency.  Need more room for your stuff?  Build a bigger house!  Elsewhere in the world this isn't an option because there just isn't more space.  Is it any wonder that the best kitchen accessories, the ones that make the best use of space (I'm looking at YOU Magic Corner) are engineered in Europe?  

Something to keep in mind the next time you think the only option you have in your home remodel is to add on, or build something bigger.  

1 comment:

  1. north face パーカーMay 24, 2012 at 1:13 AM

     パパママは自分の子供をつれて、アウトドア活動をする時、きっと心からも満足を感じます。これは親にとっても、子供の成長を自分の目で確かめる方法です。north face パーカーは家族と一緒に成長したいです。いつも家族のそばに力をあげます。THE NORTH FACEを選択しましょう。絶対あなたに失望させないでしょう。

    The
    North Face 靴



    ノースフェイス キッズ/ジュニア


    ノースフェイス エキッブメント/用具


    The North Face バッグ


    ノースフェイス 小物

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...