Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Proof Apple is Evil Empire 2.0: Food Friday Version

Last Sunday was Superbowl Sunday.  I didn't really care about the game and the only reason I watched was because there's bugger all else on the television on Sundays.  (That and I hate to be left out of water-cooler conversations after "the big game.")  And since it was Superbowl Sunday, it was the perfect excuse to fire up the smokers again for an appropriate tailgate-type meal.  And since it was a perfect day to fire up the smokers, it was the first chance for me to try out my Christmas present from my wife ... the iGrill.

The iGrill very simply turns your iPhone into a remote thermometer.  I have several wireless thermometers already, bt one have the cool factor of the iGrill, and none have all the bells and whistles that the iGrill does.  The iGrill uses the Bluetooth connection in your iPhone and the free iGrill app to see what's going on with your smoker, grill or wherever you're cooking.

This device has some really great features:

  • The Bluetooth connection is really reliable.  
  • The iGrill allows for two thermometers.  Nice if you're cooking two different types of meat, want to cook two roasts to different done-ness, or you want to monitor your smoker and the meat your smoking at the same time (like me).
  • The iGrill app allows you to set alarms for specific temperatures (to indicate when your meat is cooked) or a range of temperatures (like when I want to keep my smoker between 185C and 265C).
  • The app also graphs your temperatures on a line graph and (Geek Alert) you can actually export the information as a CSV file for your spreadsheet, or as a PDF.
My only complaint?  I have the white version, and it's going to get really messy.

1 comment:

  1. Never knew there was such a thing. What won't they come up with.? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...