Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Hidden Passageways (AKA Scooby-Doo Doors)

Source
Anyone from my generation (who grew up in North America - sorry everyone else) will know what I mean when I mention a Scooby-Doo door.  In the old Scooby-Doo series, the gang was always discovering a door hidden in the wall panelling, behind a bookcase, through a sarcophagus ... that would lead them to finding the villain (who would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids).

It wasn't until I was in high school that I discovered those doors were real.  In one of my friend's houses there was a section of wall paneling that would swing open when you pushed on it in a certain way.  Turns out the hidden cupboard behind it was used to hide booze.  There were similar doors in the backs of closets that led into the closets in neighbouring rooms. My friend wasn't sure just what sort of a place his house had been, but it made for some interesting high school parties.

The idea of hidden doors and such has always piqued my interest (I have a lot of booze to hide) and apparently I'm not alone.  Stashvault is a site dedicated to hidden doors, vaults and passageways amongst other secretive building ideas.  The article I came across was a conglomeration of other sites explaining how to build, or offering to build bookcase doorways.  The trick it seems is balance and clearances.  Check out the full article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...