Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Schnitzel Und Soccer - Together At Last

In my perfect world, my favourite things find ways to co-exist and even enhance each other.  For example: the upcoming BlogTour I will be attending in New Orleans is going to combine my love of design with my love of travel (and food, and good cocktails ...).  This weekend I was given the opportunity to combine my love for soccer with my love of pork.

My good friend and fellow soccer fanatic Zach decided to host his own birthday party this year at the Alpen Club, the German social club in Vancouver, and to combine it with a viewing of the Vancouver Whitecaps away match against the Houston Dynamo.  He gathered several like minded friends and family together for an evening of the beautiful game, and delicious German food and beer.

Now I'm no expert on German food, but I do know they have a healthy reverence for all things porcine and that cannot be bad.  Sure we saw many plates of schnitzel and several pretzels coming from the kitchen, but there was seriously only one thing on my mind when we ordered dinner.  The German Feast

A pickled pork hock, bratwurst, meat loaf, smokey, schnitzel, served with sauerkraut, red cabbage, fried onion rings, bread an potato dumplings, two sauces and our traditional mustards (preparation time 30 mins).
This is the kind of meal that wins you friends and admirers.  We did indeed split this amongst four of us ... and one very hungry university student from France who hadn't had choucroute (sauerkraut) since coming to Vancouver.  It was the perfect amount of food for four hungry soccer fans.  Everything was cooked perfectly, especially the pork hock that practically fell apart when asked. Washed down with a few glasses of Krombacher Pils and the fact the Whitecaps lost the game really didn't matter.

I know this is hardly a thorough review of the restaurant.  But based on this platter of food alone I'd come back.  This isn't light fare.  It's robust and honest and designed to be shared with friends.  We'll be back with the same group ... and hopefully a win.


Vancouver Alpen Club
4875 Victoria Drive
Vancouver, BC
V5N 4P3

Phone: 604-874-3811 (For Resevations Press Extention 22)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...