Pages

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

BlogTourNOLA - Antiquing in the Garden District


I am NOT and interior designer.  I don't say this because I see anything wrong with being an interior designer.  I say it because although I employ elements of interior design in my kitchens and baths, I am not at all comfortable with selecting pieces of furniture, fabrics, etc.


So it needs to be said that on the second day of BlogTour New Orleans, when we spent the better part of the day visiting antique shops along Magazine Street in the Garden District, I was out of my element ... especially when one considers the talented interior designers I was traveling with.


Veronika Miller, organizer, curator and all around amazing host of BlogTour recognized this and asked me over lunch how I enjoyed the day.  She recognized that I might not be especially enamoured with Louis XIV chairs (is that such a thing?) and embroidered tapestries.


I confessed I didn't deal with this sort of thing in my daily work.  But I also admitted I was able to pick out bits and pieces along the way that I could use.  I really appreciated the opportunity to learn, and to meet some great people along the way.


The moral of this story?  Get outside your element every now and then.  Push your boundaries. You never know what you might learn.


I can't wait to use a rocking horse in my next kitchen!

A huge THANKS goes out to Sean Smith who lead our group down Magazine street, and to the shop owners who opened their doors and shared their version of New Orleans style with us.  I strongly encourage you to add these folks to your New Orleans itinerary:

Sean Smith Home
Ecru Antiques & Interiors

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...