Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

DIY Remote Control Light Switch ... OR ... A WeMo Way

Source
I have a love-hate relationship with Bluetooth.  I love how Bluetooth makes it possible to effortlessly stream my favourite songs from my iPhone through the car stereo and answer the phone without taking my hands off the steering wheel.  But I absolutely hate my Bluetooth mouse (it constantly cuts out in the middle of Sketchup sessions) and I am gobsmacked that Apple will not allow a Bluetooth connection between the iPhone and my MacBook Pro.  I don't care what your reasons are Apple, it's just STUPID.

What does this have to do with this light switch.  Nothing, except that I was relieved when I learned about a new device from Belkin that has given Bluetooth a kick to the curb and opted for WiFi  to allow you to control a light switch with an app on your iOS or Android device.  Even Belkin thinks Bluetooth sucks!  With the free app you can control any light in the house, schedule them to come on or off, or just freak out the baby sitter when you're out for the evening.

The device is easy to install for any DIYer, or just hire your favourite electrician if electrical stuff scares you.  For $50, the WeMo is an inexpensive introduction to home automation.  For more information on WeMo, check out the Belkin website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...