Pages

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

I Would Write 500 Posts (with apologies to The Proclaimers)

I've been struggling the last few weeks to come up with a topic for this blog post. You see, it's a milestone post. 500 may not be a lot when compared to other blogs out there, but it's ten times more than I though I would write and in a small way is a chronicle of my life over the last few years. At the very least you learned about some of the projects I worked on and what I ate in between.  

This blog started as "I Could Eat" so I could satisfy a need to write about food. It was an offshoot of my time with eGullet, that wonderful food-lovers haven that went horribly wrong. Those of you who were there know exactly what I'm talking about.  As time went on I realized I enjoyed actually cooking and eating much more than writing about it. In fact it began to feel like the posts I wrote were arrogant in a sort of "I ate this but you didn't" kind of way that I never intended. Today, I share pictures of some of my food discoveries on Instagram and leave the "unctuous comments" to the food geeks and those who actually get paid to write. 

Similarly, writing about design was started because someone told me I should write about what I knew. As a self-employed designer the blog also became another form of self-promotion which is never a bad idea. I have no idea how many people actually read my design blog and became clients (I know of only one for sure) but I was encouraged to continue writing and assured it would pay off in the end.

Useful Spaces certainly earned me a few amazing trips which allowed me to meet some amazing people who are friends to this day. I am forever indebted to Brizo, GE Monogram and the amazing Veronika Miller and BlogTour. They were amazing experiences that helped mould me I to the designer I am today. 

But as was the case with food writing, design writing began to feel like something other than trying to help and inspire my readers. I also met many other design writers who were doing what I was doing, only much better. Not that I think I'm a poor writer, but I know that in order to write the blog I really want to write, I need to put a lot more time and effort into it.  I have time.  But since I've moved over to the "full time retail world" the time I have after working a full day are spent on the important things in my life: my wife, my kids, my family & friends. 

I just returned from a 3 day visit with my son in Toronto.  We spoke about being in the moment and spending time with the people we need and who need us. That visit was important. Another blog post was not.  And before anyone asks, I wrote this on the plane home, so unless I was supposed to be speaking to the 5 year old who sat beside me on the way home my conscience is clear.

I've decided to stop writing Useful Spaces.  I will hold on to the URL (what's $80 every 5 years? Of course, if someone wants to buy it from me ....) just in case the need every arises to write again.  But for now, I'm done.  For the dozens of you who've read and responded to my posts, I thank you.  It's been a fun six-and-a-half years, but I think some kittens need more bandwidth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...